Sunday 22 January 2012

Evil Eye Manicure

I have wanted to try this manicure for a while now. I saw this picture of Alexa Chung and saved it in my "nail folder" (filed next to my hair folder on my computer...yup) and it has been waiting to be recreated.
Pretty spooky, right? I love it. Plus, this weekend I went to a psychic convention with my friend Kat. We browsed the stalls set up by local mediums and psychics and, other than the psychics' crafty handmade signs advertising their specialities, there wasn't much to look at other than a stall of pretty amazing jewelry. This woman was selling a whole range of jewelry, including sacred geometry pendants which are quite amazing looking. In the end, I went home with an evil eye pendant for $5 that looks something like this (except it had silver eyelashes on the top lid):
I think it will look pretty neat on a thin silver chain. Apparently, evil eye jewelry protects the wearer from the evil eye and its harmful consequences (essentially, bad luck).  In fact, the jewelry fights evil energies and will bring you happiness, prosperity, professional success, true love, friendship, good health, etc, etc, etc. Whoa! Prettay prettay prettay impressive.
For the manicure, I used Deborah Lippmann's Waking up in Vegas as the base (because it is my go-to neutral greige and can also be a little bit spooky if used correctly). Then, I hand-painted the white shape of the eye, outlined it in black, and added the blue iris by using the back of a paintbrush. The pupil was added with a dotting tool. This is how it turned out:



Boo! Eye am watching you.

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this girl's Tumblr page before and was also surprised to see the nail art... I don't think she's well protected against the Evil Eye now. :D

    Evil Eye Jewelry by AlfredAndVincent.com

    ReplyDelete